The Future, Starts Now

"Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish, and you feed him for a lifetime."

 Are you trying to eat for a day or a lifetime?

I was talking to one of the kids the other day as I was helping him apply for his first job.  He said when I get my first check, I am going to spend it all on baseball equipment.  

 

 

 

 

 

 

Then I ask him, are you planning to go in to continue playing baseball after high, when you go to college.  He said, "No I am not going to play sports in college I am not that good."

I guess I should be happy that he wants to go to college.  But I did say to him, "How about putting away some of the money for the future."  I told him that the last year of high school, there will be a lot of events, it can be costly.

I don't every remember thinking only about myself when I  younger and earning money.  There was never a time when I could blow a whole check on myself and not think about the next day.  

Are we giving too much to the next generation that they don't think about saving anything for their own future?

This next generation really does need to know how to fish.

Comments